This week’s lesson and graded assignment are opportunities for you to evaluate your own competencies in order to better understand nursing informatics and enhance your knowledge and skills. Competency assessment is an on-going process. You might be quick to assume that your competencies will always increase. Be mindful of barriers and challenges as you reflect on this topic. As you progress in this course, in the program, and beyond, how might you expect your competencies to evolve? Provide a brief response
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
- Apply knowledge of nursing informatics and non-nursing science (CO 1 and 2)
- Assess nursing informatics competencies (CO2)
- Evaluate progress in enhancing nursing informatics competencies (CO4)
- Foster professional and personal development with planning strategies to enhance these competencies (CO4)
- Examine ethical decision making in relation to these competencies (CO3)
Scholarly sources: Only scholarly sources are acceptable for citation and reference in this course. These include peer reviewed publications, government reports, or sources written by a professional or scholar in the field. Your textbook and lesson are not considered to be an outside scholarly source. For the discussions and reflection posts, reputable internet sources such as websites by government agencies (URL ends in .gov) and respected organizations (often ends in .org) can be counted as scholarly sources. The best outside scholarly source to use is a peer-reviewed nursing journal. You are encouraged to use the Chamberlain library and search one of the available data bases for a peer-reviewed journal article. The following sources should not be used: Wikipedia, Wikis, or blogs. These web sites are not considered scholarly as anyone can add to these. Please be aware that .com websites can vary in scholarship and quality. For example, the American Heart Association is a .com site with scholarship and quality. It is the responsibility of the student to determine the scholarship and quality of any .com site. Ask your instructor before using any site if you are unsure. Points will be deducted from the rubric if the site does not demonstrate scholarship or quality. Current outside scholarly sources must be published with the last 5 years. Instructor permission must be obtained BEFORE the assignment is due if using a source that is older than 5 years.
Reflect upon your current or most recent clinical practice and answer the following:
- How is informatics used?
- Regarding the Pre-TANIC Self-Assessment for this week, how did your perceived competency level prior to the self-assessment compared to after the self-assessment? Explain in detail.
- What TWO competencies do you use in your current clinical role? Provide examples.
- Identify TWO resources to develop a strategic plan to enhance your competency skills.
- Which resources are suited to your needs and why?
- How do you intend to enact this improvement plan?
McGonigle, D. & Mastrian, K. (2018). Nursing informatics and the foundation of knowledge (4th ed.). Jones & Bartlett.
- Chapter 7 Nursing Informatics as a Specialty
- Chapter 15 Informatics Tools to Promote Patient Safety and Quality Outcomes
McBride, S., & Tietze, M. (2018). Nursing informatics for the advanced practice nurse: Patient safety, quality, outcomes, and Interprofessionalism (2nd.ed). Springer Publishing Company
- Chapter 2 Advanced Practice Roles in Interprofessional Teams
- Chapter 24 Developing Competencies in Nursing for an Electronic Age of Healthcare
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) (2017). AACN essentials. http://www.aacnnursing.org/Education-Resources/AACN-Essentials (Links to an external site.)
Bickford, C. J. (2017). The Professional Association’s Perspective on Nursing Informatics and Competencies in the US (Links to an external site.). Studies in Health Technology & Informatics, 232, 62.
Hussey, P., Adams, E., & Shaffer, F. A. (2015). Nursing informatics and leadership, an essential competency for a global priority: (Links to an external site.)eHealth. (Links to an external site.) Nurse Leader, 13, 52-57 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mnl.2015.07.002
National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF) (2017). Nurse practitioner core competencies content. (Links to an external site.)
O’Connor, S., Hubner, U., Shaw, T., Blake, R., & Ball, M. (2017). Time for TIGER to ROAR! Technology Informatics Guiding Education Reform (Links to an external site.). Nurse Education Today, 78-81.