Watch the Fifth Estate documentary “The Education of Brian Nicholl.”
After viewing the video, write a 2,000–2,400 word essay examining what the film reveals about collective bargaining in Canada. Be sure to include in your discussion the following issues:
- What was the balance of bargaining power, and how did it shift as the story unfolded?
- What strategies did the union employ to try to achieve a settlement? Why did it choose those strategies?
- What was the employer’s strategy for avoiding contractual obligations? Why did the strategy work?
- What does the case tell us about the importance of language clarity in an agreement?
- What role does the union play in circumstances such as the one found in the video?
- What does the case say about the tension between union staff negotiators and affected workers?
- What role did the provincial government (the state) play in the process and outcome?
- How much did the economic and political environment shape the bargaining outcome?
- In your opinion, could the union have done any more for the workers? Should the workers have accepted the deal?